Poison 911

Do not panic – you need to be ready to help your pig.

 

***If your pig has a seizure, collapses, has trouble breathing, or cannot be awakened, transport immediately to your local veterinarian or Veterinary ER center***

 

Have the phone number and address of your local pig veterinarian and local veterinary ER posted on your refrigerator.

 

Have the Animal Poison Control numbers on your refrigerator door.

 

Call Poison Control

  • Animal Poison Control:    1-888-426-4435 ($65 consultation fee)
  • Pet Poison Helpline:  1-855-764-7661  ($45 consultation fee)
  • Animal Poison Hotline:  1-888-232-8879 ($35 consultation fee)
  • National Animal Poison Control Center  at the University of Illinois: 1-800-548-2423 ($30 per case)  
  • Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital: 1-785-532-5679 (no fee)
  • Human poison control: 1-800-222-1222

Information that you will need for the toxicologist:

  • What poison – have the label available if possible – they will need to know the toxic agent, its concentration, and how much your pig ate
  • How much does your pig weigh – this helps determine if your pig ate a toxic dose.
  • How LONG ago did the pig eat the toxic substance – this helps determine how treatment should procede.
  • Is your pig showing any signs of illness?  If so, what are they doing

Have a pen and paper available so you can write down your case number and the recommendations of the toxicologist

 

If you have the label, read the instructions for “what to do if this is swallowed” written on the label – it is especially important to note if it says ‘DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.’

 

FIRST AID FOR THE POISONED PIG:

If the product swallowed is burning, irritating, or caustic (if your pig chews on a battery, for example), and your pig is conscious and not having convulsions, then you want to rinse and coat the mouth, esophagus and the stomach – you can give water or a little milk, then give up to ½ cup of a coating agent (peptobismol, Maalox, sucralfate, barium).  Then call poison control or seek veterinary help.

 

If the product got in the eye:  use room temperature water to rinse the eyes for 15-20 minutes.  Then call poison control or seek veterinary help.

 

If the product got on the skin, rinse the pig with room temperature water for 15-20 minutes (put your pig in the shower) Then call poison control or seek veterinary help.

Reprinted with permission. ©Anita Jacobson, Just Mini Pigs FB Group

FEIN: 81-4889543

A registered 501(c)3 Non-Profit

Mission Statement:

 

Our goal is to provide a safe haven for abandoned or unwanted pot belly pigs and provide them with the medical attention they need, as well as the love and attention they deserve.

 

We will participate in fundraising to provide veterinary treatment, spay/neuter, food and shelter; as well as foster responsible pot belly pig ownership through education and adoption.

Get Social.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Porkchop's Phat Farm